Re: [TCML] TAR

Hi Ed,

I'm not sure where to get the compound used say in NST's, but there are vast resources of manufacturers that manufacturer electronic grade potting compounds. Thermal conductivity, hardness, and flammability, are a few parameters to consider. They also make compounds for HV use (I think a silicone base). Here is a site that does pretty well at explaining the various compounds available. Problem #1 is cost.
http://www.pottingsolutions.com/

At work, we had issues with corrosion in an electronic box used on city buses in a particular model where the box was subjected to "massive moisture". I redesigned the board with vertical fuse towers (1.75" ht) and used an electronic grade potting compound with a low hardness (like a soft rubber). It is simply a 2 part epoxy poored in the box to 1/4" below the top of the fuse towers. In this case, I used a low hardness epoxy to prevent surface mount components from ripping off the board during cure and shrinkage. In a transformer potting application, that would be going overboard.

Anyway, it is a good idea to call and talk with the experts if you are really seeking a potting compound. They could give the best advice about this.

Take care,
Bart

Ed Phillips wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the type of black "tar" used to pot transformers? Does anyone know the actual temperature at which it's poured into the transformers? Did a web search but got nowhere and suspect that roofing tar or pitch probably isn't suitable. I want to pot a couple of GMHEI transformers in a cylinder to simulate the secondary of a "spark coil" and don't want to mess with oil or the like. Paraffin wax doesn't work, at least for me, because of too many bubbles - I've tried pretty hard to get rid of them [with the exception of vacuum] without much luck.

Ed