From: piranha <piranha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Check the Discharge Time of my Bleed Res

Hi,

This seems simple, but it is not :)

For the MMC safety case. Just charge the whole cap to say 10V or any battery
voltage laying nearby. Then disconnect the battery, count to ten, and go
probing around with the good ol' meter for any caps that have a significant
fraction of voltage on them. They should all be just about a total dead
zero. If you find a cap with say 1V on it, the bleeder is not working.

It is difficult to measure the cap's value in this way since the voltage
dies off very fast with the bleeder resistors. But don't worry about it. The
caps are tested at the factory very well. Far better than you can ;) Their
machines cost more than most people's homes!!

The equation for a voltage on a cap with a resistor is:

Vo(t) = Vi x EXP (-t / (R x C))

Vo(t) is the voltage at a moment in time.
Vi is the starting voltage at the time instant when the power source is
removed.
EXP is that funny key on the scientific calculator :D Also e^x.
R is the resistance across the cap in ohms.
C is the capacitance in 'Farads'.
t is time is seconds.

If we have a 0.150 uF cap with 10Meg of resistance across it and we charge
it to 10V and take away the battery, we have:

Vo(t) = 10 x EXP (-t / (10e6 x 0.15e-6) or Vo(t) = 10 x EXP(-t / 1.5)

So after say 2 seconds we have:

Vo(t) = 10 x EXP(-2 / 1.5) == 2.636 volts.

If one has that cap charged to 10,000 volts and then you throw you body
across after 10 seconds, we have:

Vo(10) = 10000 x EXP (-10 / 1.5) == 12.7 Volts. You will be allowed to live
:D

Best Regards,

Terry