[TCML] tunning effected by power output

With my larger coil, I like to tune the primary while running the coil at a reduced power so there will be less stress on things if it is out of tune but I have noticed that when I go up to higher power after I have tuned at low power I get better performance if I move the tap out for one more turn on the primary.   This isn't too surprising to me.  The discharge must be acting like a top load on the coil but I was just wondering if everyone else has noticed the same thing with their coils.
     Incase it matters, this is a rotary spark gap coil that runs at about 12 kva max.  The toroid is rather big,  4' by 1'  .