Re: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

In a message dated 7/15/08 12:56:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>So, why the need for dual, triple, etc.? No real need, more  convenience

>and mechanical in nature. If you have them on hand, use them. If  you

>just happen to have a nice 10" x 32" toroid lying around, then use  it!

    How soon we forget!
    A few months back I posted about putting two  toroids *beside* each
other. Keep the biggest toroid as the "main" toroid over  your coil for shielding.
Then locate the other toroid some distance horizontally  to the side (hang it,
or use an insulating support). Connect the two, and put a  prominent breakout
point on the "extra" toroid. That way the streamers are  directed *away* from
your coil.
    By locating the two toroids side-by-side with some  separation, their
fields won't interact too much with each other and you will  get maximum
capacitance. Locate them as far as practical from each other and  connect with a sheet
of aluminum foil or flashing - this will add significant  capacitance as well.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities