Re: [TCML] Tesla coil EM Gauss readings

Hi,

Most Gauss meters use Hall effect sensors such as the Allegro A1321LUA-T or DK part 620-1024-ND which they are out of. But they don't work past 30kHz so not not much help.

If you have a scope, you would be best off just winding a field pickup coil yourself and using the pure physics to calculate the field through the coil that corresponds to the generated voltage (or current if shorted). A DVM would work too if its AC range had high enough bandwidth.

Terry"

OK - I think the use of the pickup coil is the best way to go. However, I'd sure be worried about bringing the DVM around a TC! Because the signals are pulsed decaying sinusoids there is a problem in interpreting any readings of the meter. If the signals are big enough a diode rectifier with capacitor across the meter would simplify matters and the actual readings could be checked by observing the peak voltages with a scope.

Ed