Re: [TCML] comment about new coilers

In a message dated 2/16/08 11:40:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Teaching is certainly about having someone do it themselves and  learn

>from the experience with the guide of the teacher. But, this isn't  what

>all coilers are looking for. Some are here just to get their coil  up and

>running. We are sort of a Tech Support group by nature and with  that

>comes basic evaluation and possible  cause.

My biggest, if not *only* issue with new coilers  asking questions here on
the TCML is that they almost never check the archives  before asking a question.

    Sure, a lot of that old info has been updated,  disproven, or found
irrelevant over the past decade. At the same time, many of  the old posts are about
*exactly* the same questions that we're still getting  here today.

    I think we are badly in need of a FAQ for our  little list. I see a lot
of folks pointing to Richie Burnett's excellent site.  But maybe we could look
at the "Top Ten" Tesla coil building questions, and roll  them up into a
simple FAQ. Maybe Richie could mirror the FAQ on his site for  convenient one-stop
shopping. Or point them to the 4hv.org HVWiki.

    I'm sure we could get 99% agreement on our FAQ  answers, given enough
discussion. Then the moderator could simply point those  people with simple
questions to the FAQ. *Then* if those people reply "I read  the FAQ, and I did some
research, but I still don't understand", that's when the  TCML brain trust
really shines. :) But if the moderator would first filter these  common
questions, it would significantly increase the signal-to-noise ratio of  the TCML.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)