Re: [TCML] New 833C VTTC - poor performance

Hi Kris,

I'm glad you found the problem.  That's actually the first thing
that should be checked when a VTTC runs poorly, but I completely
forgot to mention it.

It's better to use an SCR rather than a triac for the staccato.  An
SCR has a much more robust internal construction.  I used a 50 amp,
1200 volt one I think, but that was over-kill.  I used it because
I had it.  My triacs started blowing up when I reached 29" sparks,
but the SCR held up.

John

Hey list,

I GOT IT!!! I finally found the problem. The grid coil was wired BACKWARDS. I
switched the leads and got 18" arcs instantly, without any plate glow!

Thanks to everyone who offered help. I have learned a lot with this project. Once I recheck all the tuning and tweeking, I'm on to building the staccato controller (the eastern voltage research one). Anyone have any suggestions for a
triac?

Thanks again,

Kris