Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 18:37:26 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ballast are bogus!!! (fwd)

Daryl,

Don't be too quick to call a ballast bogus. Yes, pigs will run without a
ballast (your not the first to do so). Depending on the load, mains
breaker, ramp up time, voltage set to zero before turn on, etc.. the
breaker may not trip. The draw is always based on the load (like
anything else), but a ballast "limits current". If there is a fault with
the pig, the pig will try to draw MASSIVE currents under short circuit
conditions. Now is the time to ask "how much"?

Distribution transformers have a % impedance rating (how mean your
monster can be if provoked). Check your pigs data plate for your
specific rating. My pig is rated at 1.9%. Thus, (1/1.9) indicates my pig
can deliver 52.6 times it's rated output current!!!!! Yes, if you are
thinking to yourself "holy crap!", then you are starting to understand
why ballasts are important. It's a safety aspect first and foremost to
you, us, house wiring, etc.. It is also a means of controlling current
to the pig just in the same way you control voltage to the pig (if you
can vary the ballasting impedance).

Please don't advocate to coilers that ballasts are bogus simply because
your welder had issues and you got longer sparks without it (you can get
just as long sparks with ballast if done right). This is a safety
concern and some newby might actually listen to you and end up dead!

BTW, if you want to remain the rockincoiler, go back to a ballast. Those
who use pigs need to understand this; it's important.

Take care,
Bart