Re: The MMC debate continues . . . . . .

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The two paths from the nst to it's center-tapped ground, the winding resistance is perhaps 10K at maximum. Using a 5RC time constant the reduces the cap discharge time to under 10 seconds for most small and medium nsts with their respective small cap bank values. Perhaps this is why our coils have never shocked anyone. We always run on AC and never DC. Also, at higher potentials, the small dia of the cap leads and any single sharp point on the cap bank board will bleed off charge as corona in much the same manner as a high potential Van de Graaff generator, even with it's symmetrical well-rounded terminal, will bleed off over 400 kV into the ambient air, without being discharged with a ground wand, in under 60 seconds. The MMC caps are at much lower potential but with their nst resistance path directly to ground and any slightly sharp point on the cap board or connections dangerous potentials are quickly bled off.

Dr. Resonance

DC,

No bad experiences. The caps just need to be discharged after a run.

Ed Wingate

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>