Re: The MMC debate continues . . . . . .

Well, I just had to weigh in on this one.

AC or DC, bad experience or not, it doesn't matter. In the event the load is disconnected due to a failure or whatever at the wrong time, it is possible to sustain a substantial charge on the cap or cap bank (MMC included). I did have a situation and got a nasty bite! It hurts! I remember how angry I was with myself because I knew I should have installed bleeders. But, I had previously run so long without even a sneeze that I simply didn't bother myself with it. After the incident, I do. Funny how one can change their views so quickly.

Bleeders (or other discharge schemes) are no different than green wire safety ground. It's there to prevent injury in the event something unforeseen occurs. People will choose to do cap discharging a number of ways; I prefer bleeders and I also doublecheck with a shorting bar (all coils, little or big).

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Edward Wingate <ewing7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

DC,

No bad experiences. The caps just need to be discharged after a run.

Ed Wingate

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have played with AC powered TCs for nearly 45 years now and I have never ever had a shock from a small, medium, or large TC that runs on AC. I recall Ed Wingate has issued warnings where he has had bad experiences with dual cap "equi-drive" systems, but I have not used this type of drive so really can't comment on it.

<snip>

Best to error on the side of caution if you have any doubts.

I would suggest using a small ground probe with an NE-2 neon bult to "test" the caps and check them after use in your particular coil design. If after dozens of operations, and no stored charge found, I think it would be safe to discontinue such tests.

Be safe!

Dr. Resonance

Dr. R- as I recall you told me once that you don't use bleeders on MMC banks and they aren't necessary. Have you changed your view or does this just apply to VTTC coils?