Re: Duty cycle of OBIT?

Original poster: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matt and Jon,

Just because the application has low duty cycle, doesnt mean the transformer is not robust. I would think knowing how its built could shed some lite on this. Is the xformer packed in tar?? or open air, etc. I dont have any experience with these so I just wonder :-))

Thanks, Gerry, and thanks to everyone else who replied. The unit is 4.5" x 5" x 5", and inside of the case the iron is potted in tar.

Here are a few pics of the unit:

http://danniken.home.comcast.net/OBIT01.jpg
http://danniken.home.comcast.net/OBIT02.jpg
http://danniken.home.comcast.net/OBIT03.jpg

I didn't know that some of these were rated for continuous duty, and I don't know if this one is one of those.

As a side note, what would happen to a transformer, either OBIT or NST, that was left on and unconnected? Would it last a day, a week, a month before it arced over internally?

Thanks again,

Jon