Andiruptor, was Re: Jacobsladder-Oscillator

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>

Ok.... I'll ask.  What is an Andiruptor ?  How does it work ?  Can
you translate into English ?
I've looked at your diagrams, but no full schematic.  Obviously it's
variable frequency oscillator.  What about duty cycle?  What are the
other inputs for ? I see you are feeding the IGBT with  variable DC
power,  That must be quiet the power supply.

Shaun Epp

Hi Shaun,

the Andiruptor is a flexible, electronic induction coil interruptor, storing the charge energy in conventional style as L*i^2/2, developped by my coiler buddy Andi Saile (and me). I've documented its functional description in a (currently-) 16p. report, which contains all the detailed schematics. But, for now, it's in german language only, and not quite complete (parts list, start up description etc. missing). So, what you like, cannot be accomplished in just a TCML posting. I've uploaded the zipped word file of this report(sorry not yet a PFD):

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/InductionCoils/Andiruptor/Andiruptor.zip

I'll try to translate to english part-wise, little by little, when I have time. You're right, it is a varable frequency oscillator, which BTW is adjusting it's behavior to the electrical characteristics of the induction coil. This is accomplished by two kinds of feedback: a) the magnitude of the charging current, in order to stop charging, and b) the number of cycles and phase of the discharging oscillation, in order to see, when to begin a new charging cycle.

For duty cycle, you might look at the waveform diagram:

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/%7Ekurt/InductionCoils/Andiruptor/19_oscillograms_01.jpg

For this case, it would be charging(~4ms)/total cycle(8.4ms)= 48%, but this will change in a wide range, when choosing different operating conditions. - I don't quite understand, what you mean by 'other inputs'. You're right about the power supply: it is designed to supply up to 20A/50V DC.

Don't know, if Gerry can continue to tolerate this OT stuff on the TCML, but posting to the HV list was not successful, 'cause my mails bounced.

Best regards,
             Kurt