Re: A real quarter wave TC ?

Skip, one item I did not look at: If the coil is to power a maggy, I did not contemplate a 3rd coil load (only the info you provided). Someone was worried about the NST powering the coil, this made me think. If a maggy, that would have to be looked at, but for a 2 coil setup, no problem.

Take care,
Bart

Barton B. Anderson wrote:

Hi Skip,

Spacing on the secondary is 0.238" between turns (assuming magnet wire). The NST will be fine charging the cap. You could do 120 bps efficiently and even 240 bps well. I set the base height at 20" above ground (for reference). The secondary calc'd at 258kHz, but the primary was at 220kHz using an edge to edge spacing identical to the tube size (.0375) and starting the first turn even with the bottom secondary. You would be resonant at 1.6 turns, so 2 turns is a good choice to start with. Coupling is going to be at 0.4, so is this a driver for a maggy?

Following are outputs from JAVATC which would make primary resonate with secondary.

Take care,
Bart

J A V A T C v.10 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT
Monday, April 02, 2007 7:24:50 PM

Units = Inches
Ambient Temp = 68°F

Surrounding Inputs (my garage dimensions)
103 = Ground Plane Radius
103 = Wall Radius
150 = Wall Height
103 = Ceiling Radius
150 = Ceiling Height

Secondary Coil Inputs:
Current Profile = G.PROFILE_BARE
22.5 = Radius 1
22.5 = Radius 2
20 = Height 1 (bottom height 20" above ground)
44 = Height 2
83 = Turns
16 = Wire Awg

Primary Coil Inputs:
25 = Radius 1
25 = Radius 2
20 = Height 1 (bottom height 20" above ground)
21.243 = Height 2
1.6572 = Turns
0.375 = Wire Diameter
0.035 = Primary Cap (uF)
30 = Total Lead Length (15" wires to and from primary).
0.2 = Lead Diameter

Secondary Outputs:
258.48 kHz = Secondary Resonant Frequency
90 deg° = Angle of Secondary
24 inch = Length of Winding
3.5 inch = Turns Per Unit
0.23834 inch = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)
977.8 ft = Length of Wire
1.88:1 = H/D Aspect Ratio
3.93 ohms = DC Resistance
12479 ohms = Forward Transfer Impedance (sorry for similar calcs as what follows, something to cleanup in the program)
12497 ohms = Reactance at Resonance
7.64 lbs = Weight of Wire
7.695 mH = Les-Effective Series Inductance
7.535 mH = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance
7.876 mH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
49.269 pF = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
48.388 pF = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance
131.874 pF = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance (Wow, compare Ces to Cdc!!!!) Ces is at Fres, Cdc is not.
12.97 mils = Skin Depth
17.9 ohms = Effective AC Resistance
696 = Q

Primary Outputs:
258.48 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency
0 % = Percent Detuned
90 deg° = Angle of Primary
21.69 ft = Length of Wire
0.375 inch = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)
2.5 inch = Primary to Secondary Clearance
9.949 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
0.035 µF = Cap size needed with Primary Inductance used (for reference only)
0.861 µH = Lead Length Inductance
114 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance
0.407 k = Coupling Coefficient
2.46  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K
4.25 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

Transformer Inputs:
120 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage
9000 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage
120 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current
60 [Hz] = Mains Frequency
120 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage
Transformer Outputs:
1080 [volt*amps] = Rated Transformer VA
75000 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence
9000 [rms volts] = Effective Output Voltage
9 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Primary Current
0.12 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Secondary Current
1080 [volt*amps] = Effective Input VA
0.0354 [uF] = Resonant Cap Size
0.0531 [uF] = Static gap LTR Cap Size
0.0922 [uF] = SRSG LTR Cap Size
199 [uF] = Power Factor Cap Size
12728 [peak volts] = Voltage Across Cap
45000 [peak volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating
2.84 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy
437.3 [peak amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current
65.7 [inch] = Spark Length (JF equation using Resonance Research Corp. factors)

Rotary Spark Gap Inputs:
1 = Number of Stationary Gaps
8 = Number of Rotating Electrodes
1800 [rpm] = Disc RPM
0.375 = Rotating Electrode Diameter
0.375 = Stationary Electrode Diameter
10.6 = Rotating Path Diameter

Rotary Spark Gap Outputs:
8 = Presentations Per Revolution
240 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second
56.8 [mph] = Rotational Speed
4.17 [ms] = RSG Firing Rate
13.125 [ms] = Time for Capacitor to Fully Charge
1.59 = Time Constant at Gap Conduction
0.75 [ms] = Electrode Mechanical Dwell Time
79.55 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires
10125 [peak volts] = Effective Cap Voltage
1.79 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy
273272 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage
431 [power] = Energy Across Gap
56.2 [inch] = RSG Spark Length (using energy equation)

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Skip Greiner <skipg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All
I am considering building a TC with the following specs and would appreciate any comments

Secondary: 83 turns #16 ga wire on a 45" diameter by 24" high form
Primary: 2 turns of .375 copper tubing about 50" in diameter
NST: 9000@120 ma
Cap: .035
Synchronous 4 pole RSG
Note that both primary and secondary are resonant at about 250khz. The secondary will not have a top load.
Thanks in advance for all comments
Skip