Re: Brass bolt for top cap on secondary to secure toroid (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:20:23 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Brass bolt for top cap on secondary to secure toroid (fwd)

Hi John,

Better "security" to use nylon. However, with that said, I've done it
just as you have shown and never had an internal arc, but I don't do
that any longer just for the "security" factor (I know it's just a
matter of time). There is a greater risk of an internal arc using a
metallic screw instead of a nylon screw (or other mounting method). If
you use a brass screw, using a toroid with a center disc would be
helpful to reduce high stress on the inside of the top cap. If your
topload is something other than a toroid or if it is to be somewhat high
above the end cap, then you have a greater risk of arcing from the
screw. If possible, use nylon. In most cases, a large nylon screw is
plenty of mechanical strength since it's simply sitting there. When
moving the coil from here to there, always remove the toroid and remount
it once the coil is in it's new position.

Take care,
Bart