Re: grounding NST's

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx

Excellent question!  First Terry Fritz had the idea first of placing an
RFI ballast choke between the "safety ground" (grounding conductor)
and the case of a NST or MOT farm.  Lets assume a 120V, 20A branch
circuit capacity and you want the touch voltage to be less then 30Vrms
(not making these numbers up, anything below 42V peak or 30V rms
is considered "touch safe" if exposed).  Also assume maximum let through
current is 40A before OCD opens (fuse, CB or PCB trace your pick).
This calculates out to a 60Hz impedance of 0.75 ohm (30V/40A), and
a theoretical calculated impedance (if all inductive) of 1.25k ohms at
100kHz (linear increase with frequency , Z = wL).  This calculates out
to ~ 2mH inductance, which could be easily built using a ferrite ring
or toroid, and high current wire.

If you could build an ideal choke, then no problem. All pratical chokes have parasitics that pass certain frequencies. The best way to keep RF off of mains ground is to not connect to it.

>      So let me throw this *new* question out there:
>      Even if you put the NST at the coil proper (in "high voltage
> land"), you still have to run power (LV) wires to it. So how do you
> ground things in case of a secondary strike to these LV wires?

Put an RF grounded shield around the LV wires to intercept any HV strike and return the current to the coil base.

> But how do we bond it to ground? After all, a
> short of any of the hots to the conduit will make the whole thing
> hot, and a long piece of flexible metal conduit on a concrete floor
> isn't necessarily going to trip any breakers or blow fuses to
> indicate the fault. And it isn't safe, either, since the conduit is
> connected at the panel end and therefore accessible during normal
> (plugged in) operation. So we can't leave the conduit floating.
>      One end (at the coil?) to RF ground? Remember, the theory is to
> have low impedance to RF ground. But we have other concerns as well.
> So other end (at the control panel?) to house ground? But then what
> if it takes a streamer hit?

Dont connect the conduit to panel mains ground. The conduit only needs to extend from the coil area out to the point where ground strikes are no longer a concern (at the edge of the danger zone). Beyond that, it isn't neccessary.

Gerry R.