Re: Streamer Color

Original poster: Jeff Larson <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dan,

So you use the tesla coil arcs as the light for illuminating the white card?
We can talk more about the camera details off list, since this is getting off topic?

Thanks

Jeff

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

Jeff,

When you shoot RAW, the camera ignores whatever white balance is set on
the camera.

I use tungsten sometimes as a quick and dirty fix to help remove the red
overtones to longer exposures.  It keeps a more bluish tone overall.

However, for serious photos, i do the following:

1.  I determine the exposure i will be taking arc photos at (say 2
seconds)
2.  I set up a white card in the same lighting i am shooting my coil
with
3.  I take a 2 second exposure of the white card
4.  Then use that photo for custom white balance in the camera

This works near perfectly all the time.

Dan

Dan,
I have shot the photos in raw but with the WB in auto mode and played
with WB in software.
It seems that the spark color is more natural when I  set the  WB to
about 4500K.
Tungsten seems to be to low.  Too blue.
But, Dan you find that tungsten setting works best?

Of  course  we all realize that our monitors maybe adjusted
differently displaying vastly different variations of colors.

Jeff