Re: A new mini-coil competition winner!

Original poster: "Karl L." <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gary, Terry, all...

I've gotten so many excellent suggestions and replies regarding my mini-coil performance "mystery." I think we may be getting close to a solution - Karl

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Based on Karl's stated .06" gap separation, which is pretty close to
what I also have on my mini coil (I have closer to .07"), I can confirm
that his gap width has been properly set for a 4kVRMS NST.  If it was
breaking down at 15+kV, it would have to be much wider.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Yes. My gap is set for 0.06" and fires nicely with just the xfrmr attached at ~108 VAC input to NST. - Karl

Hi Karl,

Wow!!!

The coil power is:

1/2 x 25nF x 5090^2 x 120BPS = 38.86W

If 18.125 = F x SQRT(38.86)  Then F = 2.91!!

But if we do the regular Freau equation:

1.7 x SQRT (0.038 x 5090) =  23.64 inches...

So something is going on "I" don't understand.  Let me think on it %:-)

Cheers,

        Terry

OK Terry. So streamer length still falls short of theoretical maximum. I believe that smaller coils never reach the Freau limit anyway. - Karl

Hi Karl,

I see what is going on 8-)

If we model your coil with MicroSim:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Karl1.gif

We get this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Karl2.gif

If the component values are shifted a tiny bit we basically get the coil firing twice on each peak of the sine wave from the transformer.
So it fires at both 5.5 and 8.3mS  That doubles the streamer power.
So you are closer to 78W in.

If it were 120BPS the new ScanTesla gives 9.7 inch streamers. So your double firing almost double the spark length!!!! Normally I would expect it to increase SQRT(2) or 13.7 inches with doubling power. ScanTesla does not do double firing so we have to guess a bit and I am not sure the function of double firing to streamer length is well understood (a DRSSTC thing).

This brings the Freau number down to 2.06 which makes more sense :-))

It is hard to know what Rprimary is for your coil since it is significantly different that what we are used to. But I am sure an SISG even with double firing will further increase the arc distance significantly. I am not sure how much though.

Cheers,

        Terry

Terry, now this idea is starting to make a lot of sense. Since my gap is not too wide, and set for ~ 5kV I could see how resonant charging could quickly replenish the charge in the caps leading to those extra firings per each 1/2 wave cycle. - Karl

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 6/6/06 7:45:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Also, did you see any reason ScanTesla predicted only 6.4" streamers?
>My earlier post contained the input and and output files I used in
>the program.

Karl,

Congratulations on your results.   It's a great looking coil
too.  I think the coil may be drawing more than 47 watts.
If the output voltage is figured at 4.4kv rms, that comes
to 155VA output.  Figuring 155 watts wallplug, and
using my formula of

  spark length inches = 1.7*sqrt input power watts

gives 21" as a spark length.  So it seems
to me that your coil is working well.  Most
small coils fall somewhat short of my formula.
Your break rate must be higher than 120 bps because
of the use of a resonant value
capacitor.  Maybe the firing voltage is a little higher
than expected for some reason. The large radius of
curvature of your topload
may be helping the results also, even with the breakout
point.  Also I agree with Gary that the high primary
inductance is probably reducing the gap losses and
helping the results.  Your spark length at 18" is
close to the value of 21" which my formula "predicts"
If the power input is as I suggested.
The higher breakrate is probably reducing the efficiency
some also, but apparently not much.  Regarding gap
losses, I think that the initial energy transfer to the
secondary is what contributes most to the spark length.
The initial transfer tends to involve rather low gap losses
especially when using a high inductance primary.

I once built a coil which was similar in physical size.
It used a 3" diameter by 15" tall secondary with a 3"
x 10" toroid.  It was the TT-32 coil.  It used a 7.5/30
NST and drew about 270 watts I think.  So the predicted
spark length was 28" but it only gave about 25" sparks.
I used a 120 bps rotary gap however.

John

Thanks John. I have a kill a watt meter, and during initial testing of the primary I found a variac'd firing range of ~150 - 185 VA. No caps or coils were connected, only the xfrmr and gap. Curiously, the PF was 0.26 and it indicated a draw of around 40 watts. The kill a watt doesn't work when the coil is actually firing (too much RF hash on line.) - Karl

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx