Re: line filter orientation

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

> I use a line filter between my HV-xformer
> and the power controller (wanted to keep
> the nasty stuff out as soon as possible )
> Everything works fine for ober a year now,
> but yesterday I became unsure about the way
> I installed the filter.
   If it works, be happy.
   Seriously.

> Here is a drawing of what is printed on the filter:

> http://www.luebke-lands.de/media/Filter.jpg

> The load end is connected to the HV transformer,
> the "line" side goes to the variac going to mains.
> I wonder, if this is right or wrong as I don't know
> if this filter was originally intended to keep noise out
> from sensitive equipment or keep it in from noise-
> producing equipment...
> I am sure someone on the list knows better ;-)
   Having worked professionally with such, in the past:
     Some are fussy about direction.
     Some are not.
     Those that are fussy are not very fussy.

   Cautionary note about filters in general:
    some/most are most effective is installed
    'in the shield wall'.  If just 'plunked in the
    the line(s)', the 'noise' can/does radiate
    around them, coupling from 'noise side' to
    'quiet side'.  For many applications the amount
    so coupled is not real important...

best
 dwp