Re: Current Limiting and Impedence

At 09:41 AM 5/10/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Paul,
          Whatever rods you purchase for the core, they have to have
a very small x-sectional area. They should also not retain much if
any magnetism after being de-energized (check with a magnet) or they
will have large hysteresis losses resulting in lots of heating.
Silicon steel such as used in transformer cores is preferred if you
can get them.

Malcolm

On 9 May 2005, at 20:25, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Gerry,
> When I was in Home Depot the other day looking for polyurethane, I
> noticed a bin full of all thread that also had many sizes of
> unthreaded steel rod as well. While going through some of the rods it

Searching back through the archives, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, there was a fairly long discussion about improvised core materials. I seem to remember that wire coat hangers were proposed. The diameter is a bit large (few mm), but they're fairly "soft" both mechanically and magnetically, and they are already varnished, and, are available very cheaply (as in free if you scrounge).

I'm not a magnetics guy, but maybe someone could come up with a quick and dirty "what's the effect of using diameter x" equation? I assume that things like the material mu and the material resistivity would factor into it, but we could probably make some sort of rough and ready approximation:
iron conductivity is 10 m/(ohm mm2), mild steel is given as 7.7 (Cu is 58)

cast iron mu = 77 (relative to free space!)
steel casting  2690 (P1.0 = 3.6W/kg)  (I think mild steel is in this category)
alloyed dynamo steel 2240 ( P 1.0 = 1.3 W/kg)

P1.0 >> core losses per unit mass at f=50Hz and induction of 1.0T

So, these numbers (for loss) are for the hysteresis losses. I assume the eddy current losses would be in addition.