Re: Theory acceptance- Displacement current?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

A few years ago Terry tried very hard to design a machine to detect and measure "displacement current". Spent quite some time and band width on it. But, no success. Then Paul N whispered in his ear, "It can't be done." Terry immediately abandoned his project.

Gosh! What do you mean you can't measure displacement current ::) Try wrapping a plasma globe in tinfoil, then drawing an arc off it with your finger. Then tell me you didn't feel anything!

There was no conductive path for that current to flow through since the tin foil was separated from the plasma by a piece of glass. Any current that did flow therefore must have been displacement current.

Displacement current is a mathematical fiction, if you like, as much as "centrifugal" force is. It is a handy way of accounting for the effect that when one charged body moves, every other charged body nearby feels a force. When you pile electrons onto one plate of a capacitor, the electrons on the other plate get shoved off it by electrostatic repulsion. That stream of electrons rushing out the back door, to get away from the ones you crammed in the front door, is what we call displacement current.

Asking whether displacement current exists in its own right, in a region of space that contains no charged particles, is a bit like asking if that tree falling in the forest really did make a noise. The only thing that really exists in EM is charged particles and the forces they exert on each other. All the rest is just structures that we build in our heads to help us visualise the forces.

Steve Conner