RE: Theory acceptance- was Re: Secondary Resonance LC andHarmonics

Original poster: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Paul,

> We have to do this if the list is to maintain its integrity!!
>
> There's a good deal of high quality debate on this list and
> it's a great example of amateurs treating a difficult subject
> (and each other) with a rational, scientific approach.

There is no debate on this list.  There are a few good arguments
or observations made and then the topic gets shut down.  The old
timers always get their way only because they have flashy
credentials, not necessarily because the argument is sound.

> That doesn't happen by accident.   It relies on everyone being
> intellectually honest enough to welcome tough criticism and to
> respond to awkward and incisive questions.   By doing so, wrong
> stuff gets discarded quickly, while useful and effective
> ideas quickly gain strength and support.

No, new stuff gets discarded quickly and the establishment is
exempt from being critically analyzed.  The new stuff could be
right or wrong, but it is discarded for being new.

> The dilemma for the list to solve is how to treat posts from
> those who don't want to play the scientific game.  In those
> situations, criticism of a post is met with no response
> (other than perhaps a switch to the use of surnames).  Our
> moderator is bending over backwards to allow all views to be
> expressed, but this creates a caveat emptor situation for the
> consumer.

The real dilemma is that the establishment doesn't want to play
by the same rules they set for everyone else.  Yes, Terry goes
out of his way to allow all views to be expressed, but then he is
forced to buckle and shut down a topic.

If the scientific method were being practiced here, then all
theories would always be subject to critical analysis.  There
wouldn't be statements like, "but so and so said so, therefore it
is established to be true."

> It isn't the moderator's job to filter posts based on
correctness.
> We have to do that ourselves by challenging faulty information.

Like I said, this only works as long as we don't question the
status quo, but only question the new ideas.

No matter what, eventually someone will claim that this list is
not about new science, or new theories.  This list is about
building Tesla coils according to the methods of the old guys on
this list.  Certainly it has nothing to do with building coils
the way Nikola Tesla did, nor using the philosophy and science
that Tesla used.  And that is fair game.  If that is how the
moderator wants to run the list, then that is the way it will be
run.

But please spare us the lecture about valid science vs invalid
science.

> I don't know the solution to this dilemma.

It's simple.  Just tell everybody the truth.  This list is not a
place to discuss new theories.  It is a list for people to build
Tesla coils that make long sparks, and nothing else.

Dave