Re: RF ground - what if you can't use a ground rod?

At 01:46 PM 6/29/2005, Tesla list wrote:

Hi Jim,

At 10:14 PM 6/28/2005, you wrote:
At 07:47 PM 6/28/2005, you wrote:

At 07:07 PM 6/28/2005, you wrote:
Or, for that matter, the soil. For a TC or an antenna, in both cases one would want to minimize the losses in the soil.

I would just go get two lengths of 1 inch dia. copper pipe from the hardware store. Bury it in an "X" pattern under where you want to run the coil a few inches deep so it won't bother the grass or anything. This would be better than the ground 90% of us have!!

Keep the primary coil a few feet above the ground or you can induce currents in the soil that can kill the grass. Guess how I know this :o))

Did it burn a mysterious X in the grass? or a spiral?

Sort of a donut shaped area were the grass looked real sick. I think the primary got some currents going in the soil that hurt the grass since that was the mark it made. It was like that for the rest of the summer but cam back fine the next year.

I've discovered that grass seems to be very temperature sensitive, and doesn't come back quickly after being overheated. (try dropping hot coffee on your lawn, for instance) Significant RF current would definitely overheat the grass (which is a nice conductor, after all), while individual spark hits might not.