Re: ScanTesla - Tesla's Colorado Springs Coil

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Terry, all,

Tesla mentions in the CSN that he ran the system in very short bursts. He would close the main power switch to his HV transformer then open it again as quick as he could. He would maybe do that once every few seconds, 10, 50 or 100 times, with the camera shutter open, till he had built up a neat looking picture.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the system did draw 150kW+ when it was energised :-o

I believe he blew up the power plant when playing around and letting the secondary arc to ground with the extra coil disconnected. This threw the (poor) ground all over the place and kicked back into the power lines via the lightning arresters. So I reckon it was HV kickbacks rather than excessive current that did it. If he had had a Terry filter the size of a dinner table, all would have probably been OK ;)

Steve Conner