Re: Help with my rotary gap (and other tuning problems).....

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/20/05 11:09:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Original poster: "Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I fixed the fuse blowing problem with a 4uF AC cap....however, I am
>noticing that if I disconnect the capacitor from the circuit, adjusting
>the variac does the same for the phase adjustment, ie, the cap does not
>seem to be doing anything.
>
>I trust that the 4uF is correct, so my assertion is that maybe the LC
>circuit formed is not doing what it is supposed to? I did check the
>variac wiring by taking it apart somewhat--it is correct (when I start
>up the setup, it is on the lowest L, as I turn the knob, L increases
>until eventually the motor won't spin anymore.
>
>Is the cap infact doing anything or could something ELSE be wrong?
>
>Thanks.

I have heard of cases where the proper phase shift can be obtained without the phase shift capacitor if the motor happens to have a motor run capacitor attached. Now when you say that you increased the L until the motor stops spinning.... do you mean that the motor actually stops spinning completely? Or do you mean it slows down a little and drops out of sync? Usually the motor doesn't tend to stop completely. Usually the variac can be rotated through the complete range, and the motor will remained locked in sync operation. In some cases the motor slows and drops out of sync at some point, but still spins.

John