RE: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Hi Dave,

At 01:41 PM 7/8/2005, you wrote:
Hi Terry,

I just got to this post.

> Just a plain arc is about 80 amps.  With the rod the bright
> one is 110 amps.

This is good information.  Thanks.  If the potential remains
about 20KV, then each spark is releasing 2950 hp.  Tesla
commented on this several times.  It's pretty amazing that the
copper pipe picks up 805 hp per break.

Not that those are peak instantaneous power levels. May coil is not 2.2MW rated ;-)) Joules is the usual energy measure, but maybe peak instant power is a bit nicer in this case.

> They fire once on every firing of the coil.

That's pretty clear, now.

Maybe not... The coil has many high voltage peaks during each cycle. It is possible the rod is charged at the"cycle to cycle" level instead of the "break to break" level The rod to ground hit is definitely a "one time" big hit. But there might be many streamer hits leading up to that between the toroid and rod... But the toroid is AC too so it should null out to zero... But the sharp point to big surface makes a sort of rectifier too... It could get very messy ;-))

> I note that just a single arc case is "middle" bright.
> Note how dim the toroid to ground arc is in this picture:
> http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DaveTest-56.jpg

It is also interesting that a 38% increase in current makes the
ground spark seem much brighter.  I wonder if the luminosity of
the spark increases only by 38%, or if it is much higher?

It might be a current squared function. In that case the spark would be 90% brighter. But I am not sure the current to brightness curve is linear especially if we are going from the purple to white transition region.

> So It appears that the arc with the rod has higher current
> than just a plain arc.  The arc from the toroid to the rod
> seems dimmest of all.  The rod seems to be picking up some
> added current that seems to be significantly greater greater
> than the toroid to rod current.

Well, it can't be "significantly" greater.  It is only 38%
greater.  We still don't have a measurement for the potentials to
know whether they are equal or not.

The rod to ground gap and arc voltage should be almost DC, that is fairly easy . Goodness only knows what the leader Tesla arc from the toroid to the rod is. But if there are sparks going on nearby with High Frequency noise, those voltages could be bumped to far lower values...

It would seem to me that since the spark appears much brighter
than a 38% increase that some of the potential coming from the
topload to tube might be converted to current between the tube
and ground.

The spark from the rod to the ground is also "super" fast!! But the arc from the toroid to rod may be stretched out over a greater amount of time. So the "arc time duration" may be indeed a significant factor...

Messy it is getting now :o)))

I'll see if I can figure anything out here...

Cheers,

        Terry

Dave