Re: A LUA file for BELA (a help to build electrostatic model of TC)

People who work with tightly coupled transformers for high voltage know it already, but I have only recently found out: I cannot insulate my way out of a corona problem. The more dielectric I stuff into the gap, the more severe the corona gets in the remaining air.

Ain't that the truth..."

Of course; "it has to be that way". The more (higher dielectric constant than air) material you put in the gap the greater the voltage drop across the remaining air and hence more corona. IF you completely fill the gap and IF you exclude all residual air the corona will be suppressed. If a little air remains somewhere it will break down due to corona and may very well result in breakdown of the associated dielectric material. Major failure mechanism for capacitors operated at high AC voltages.

Ed