Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

[snip]

I've always wondered what would happen (without actually trying it, don't wanna PO the power company) of actually arcing to a 14.4 kV power line. I'm guessing a blindingly bright arc with enough current to make the secondary go nuclear and perhaps tripping the substation breaker making a whole neighborhood blackout. Am I right? I'd still love to see what a 100A can do with a optimized DRSSTC. Ever thought of building one and actually running it somewhere else? Tho the secondary might be hard to move...

Mike

Most likely the 14kV line will respond as if it sees a simple, relatively low impedance [<20ohm] line-to-ground fault. Depending on the interrupter curves, the neighborhood will be de-energized within a few seconds; possibly longer if there's significant commercial loading in the area. Shortly thereafter [30sec to minutes] the first automatic re-closer attempt at the substation should restore power.

A better way to couple the local power grid directly into your secondary would be to step the 14kV down to ~1kV first. The burning arc between the toroid and 1kV terminal should present a load in the 5-20ohm range, yielding ~50-200kW. The neighborhood feeder should be able to support these loading levels for minutes, possibly longer.

-GL