Re: Single-bushing 14.7kV pigs. Thoughts?

Using pole xmfrs our procedure is to always ground one lead and keep one
hot.  We use five 200 watt, 1000 Ohm resistors (Digi-Key Electronics) so as
to have an effective resistance of 200 Ohm at 1000 Watt rating.  I also use
a large 3 inch dia. toroid with 3-4 turns of 12 AWG.  This starts the
clipping process before the transients hit the Q spoiling resistance.

I also want to share with the group something to never do:  On an early pig
xmfr we used a coax cable to connect both the hot and ground approx 12 feet
over to the coil.  When we fired the coil up the capacitance formed a
powerful resonance with the xmfr's inductance.  The result was hot long
sparks that fired across the entire large 14.4 kV bushing on the xmfr.  It
formed a sort of blumlein and developed over 125 kV across the bushing!

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913