RE: Bulk Order 15kW SSTC Boards - Heatsinks Room Temperature

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Ken,

You are about a few posts behind.  The 15kW SSTC board i was planning on
building was indeed designed for up to 15kW
operation and in a fan cooled arrangement.  The board was going to be
very large and feature parallel SOT-227 FETs on
each leg of the full bridge switching network.  However, because of the
expense of this board (it was rather large) and
the price of FETs, i decided to hold on this project for now.

My next design was completing the new 10kW PlasmaSonic II SSTC board
which I rated at 10kW.  Using the appropriate FETs and
only fan cooling, 7kW has already been proven and tested.  Justin and
Aaron have both confirmed this on their new
10kW SSTC using IXFN80N50s.  See the following link:

http://dave.golfbuddys-dot-com/hvguy/new/10kwsstc.htm

10kW could be easily obtainable with even fan cooling (albeit large
finned heatsinks as well to maximize cooling surface)

However, I am downgrading the power level anyways to about 3kW.  The
problem not lies in the cooling scheme, but in the
PCB board itself.  For the current levels required to do more than 3kW,
I do not have the copper available (double-sided, 2oz) to handle the
current I would need without going to a multilayer board (4+ layers) and
thicker copper (4oz+) which
ultimately becomes extremely expensive for my budget.

Dan