Re: Dielectric constant table

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/18/03 7:40:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

I just wanted to be sure you were aware that nobody makes homemade oil caps
anymore.  A new cap called the "MMC" has totally replaced them now
days.  When MMC came on to scene, many people just stopped there oil filled
cap projects right in the middle and never went back.

Hi Terry, All,
     Isn't that a bit like saying that no one has wanted to build a glider
since the Wright Bros. invented powered flight, or that no one builds
mechanical clocks since the invention of digital timers? True, the MMC is
more durable and efficient, but some people are interested in the
technology that existed before IGBTs and MTV. One of my neighbors just
completed building a brass and mahogany Edison phonograph and he doesn't
even own a Walkman or a Bose waveradio. I also don't believe that deWalt or
Black & Decker have made fine woodcarving obsolete, and I think an SSTC is
an oxymoron, but that's for another (off-list) discussion.
     Sorry, but expressions like "nobody does", "everybody thinks", or "has
totally replaced" are red-flag expressions to some of us auldpharts.
Matt D.