Re: Help A new coiler.................

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 6:19 AM
Subject: Help A new coiler.................

 > Original poster: "margaret louise" <tullera-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>
 >
 > Ok, after weeks of interenet surfing i have finally begun work on my first
 > coil.
 > possibly a bad decision, i dont really know, i have wound the secondary
first:

 > 2 incch diameter
 > 10.5 inch winding length
 > approx 880 turns of AWG 29?  wire recycled from an old transformer (about
 > 84 turns/inch)

That will work..

 > i have aquired a 12/30 NST to use
 > i am plannig to go for a static gap, either series of copper tubes RQ
style
 > or a bunch of adjustabe single gaps (ie bolts )

Just go with 2 or 3 copper pipe segments in parallel.  (3 is nice, because
you can fix 2 of them, and do all your adjustments by moving the one in
between.. arrange them in a triangle)

 > 2> Primary
 > planning to use 1/4 inch copper tubing. is there any real difference or
 > benifits of using a inverse conical primary over a pankake, because the
 > pancake is going to be a lot easier to make>?

Do the pancake.. coupling's not generally an issue, and, as you say, the
pancake's a whole lot easier to make.  Idea... make the inside diameter of
the pancake a bit big (say, 6" diameter) , so you can wind a new secondary
sometime later and use it without having to wind a new primary. Likewise,
extra turns on the outside of the primary aren't a problem, so if you buy a
50 foot coil of tubing, use it all.

 > Safety gap> what distance should i set my safety gap to for a 12 kv nst?

Set the gap so it just doesn't fire, without the coil connected.

 > excuse my arrogance.............

surely you mean ignorance.. your post is hardly arrogant.