Re: Problems with SRSG on TC

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Did YOU make the motor synchronous?  Maybe its loosing sync or just isnt
modified correctly (like its running a 3599 rpm rather than 3600 rpm).
Though thats seems unlikely, i cant figure what else would cause operation
to swing in and out like that.  Are you using safety gaps? I hope so!  Im
also guessing you have tried to play with the phasing?  But then again,
that should not make operation seem so strange.

Steve Ward

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Problems with SRSG on TC
>Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:10:26 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Zagarus Rashkae by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <arbitrarily_random-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Hi all,
>
>I recently completed an SRSG that runs at 3600 RPM
>with a 1/4 inch by 7.5 inch dia Lexan disk, with 4
>stainless steel electrodes for 240BPS. I use a MOT
>stack running at about 2kVA and a 38nF cap. Secondary
>is 1000 turns or so of 22AWG on 4 inch SCH 40 PVC.
>Toroid is 4 by 16. I don't know what is wrong with my
>TC but it only sparks intermittently, and I think this
>is due to my RSG. Any clue as to what causes this?
>
>The TC outputs 3 foot sparks at best, falling short of
>the 3.5-4 feet that I got from an air blast single
>gap. It goes "zzzt..." and quits, then after another
>20 seconds or so it goes "zzzz..." for about 5
>seconds, etc...
One thing that I never noticed before was that when
running at 3kVA or so the cap's saftey gap fired,
sounded like a gun firing many times per second.

Thanks in advance,

Chris