Re: frequency discussion

Hi Matt,

The frequency of the coil is usually a byproduct of coil size. If frequency
alone was considered, then lower frequency's would have lower losses. But,
total losses (input to output) include far more causes than frequency
alone. The gap is one of those areas where losses can be substantial. If
one considers building a coil with a geometry that does not inhibit
performance (too narrow, too long, etc.. etc..), a single layer coil, a
wire size large enough to handle the power you throw at it, a primary
geometry that will allow proper coupling to the secondary given the cap
size used (and tied to cap energy for transfer), and a geometry that does
not inhibit spark propagation (primary too close to top of coil, etc.),
---- the losses with higher frequency's become "not so important", because
so many other areas of the system have their own losses and limitations
that exceed most concerns with frequency.

Bart