Re: frequency discussion

In a message dated 11/15/02 2:17:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Does a lower frequency necessarily denote larger sparks?

Matt,

Not at all.  It's just a general trend that larger more powerful coils
run at a lower frequency because of their size.  You can build a
small coil, and by using many many turns of thin wire, you can
lower the frequency, but the sparks will probably be shorter, due
to high losses in the wire.  In general though, I like to keep the
frequency as low as is practical, and I've gotten the best results
in my small coils by using about 1300 to 1600 turns of wire.

I believe that it's unknown exactly how much a lower frequency
(by itself, if that is possible) contributes to the production of longer
sparks.

John