Tuning Isis and Osiris

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Nick,
I finally got the primary coils tuned in.
I connected the two primary coils in series with a 500 Ohm resistor and the
signal generator. I put my good Tek 2246 across the resistor. The coils are
spaced around 9 feet from eachother.
Tuning is from the bottom up with Cp. I'll send you an attachment if you
wanna
see the circuit. I spent several daze trying to dip the circuit with a RMS
digital mA
meter in place of the resistor and scope. I finally read the fine print for
the meter to discover that
the darn meter poops out at 100 kc. This was causing all sorts of spastic
parasites
and artifacts in the measurements. I also had the sig gen in parallel until I
began
to suspect that I might be loading down the generator excessively. Learning
slowly.
I tuned the coils by clipping the leads from Cp onto the coil, using the same
spot on each coil. I then adjusted the sig gen to find the arbitrary F res.
If too high,
I added Lp, and if too low, I removed turns. I kept twiddling until I zeroed
in on
the exact spot where F res for the primaries is 151 kc = F res for the each
secondary with its topload.
Can you find anything in all this where I am still screwing up something?

You were certainly correct when you said that tuning a twin coil is the most
gul durn
cantankerous thing ever. I thot it would be simple. Now I gotta put the beast
back together and fire it up for the 100 inch sparks.

Q:
What's happening here? F res for EACH secondary is 151 kc. I have tuned the
two primaries in series and across Cp. That's how they are connected in the
twin. But
I have tuned the two primary coils in series so the TWO of them resonate at
151 kc. Then we
are going to wrap each primary around its secondary with the two primaries in
series
and across Cp. Is each primary resonating at 75.5 kc? The primaries are far
apart and the bases of the secondaries are tied
together and grounded to the power line ground. And to make things even
funnier,
We will have to find the electrical zero point by trial and error. All very
funny, I wish I understood the joke.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman