Re: latest - Re: Ball Lightining

Hi Richard,

>At 10:29 AM 1/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Terry,
>
>I agree Pearsons are great.  Occasionally I've seen them on Ebay for about
>$25 -- about 1/20 th what they're worth.

I got mine off E-bay.  I paid about ~~$100 each for them but I had to
"take" them from other people that wanted them bad too :-))  They run $450
to $800 new for the typical ones..

>I notice your V and I phases were
>about 90 degrees apart.

The current probe may have been backwards.  I forget exactly when I snapped
that scope picture.  I just wanted to show how the measurement was done.

>Can the TEK 5100  calculate instantaneous power
>from V and I even though they are not in the same phase?

The TEK P5100 is a passive scope probe (2500V 250MHz 100:1 2.75pF $250).
The best probe I have ever used for such things.  Well worth the high cost
IMHO.

http://www.tek-dot-com/Measurement/Products/catalog/p51xx_p6xxx/index.html

The TDS 3012 scope is a fully microprocessorized floppy firmware
programmable scope that can easily multiply voltage and current in real
time and all that stuff to show instant power or instant resistance.  I
imagine if I pushed the buttons it could also show those in RMS, AVE, and
about 20 other modes too...  It's just a matter of finding the right
buttons in the menus.  For money, Tek sells software keys to enable other
functions they can get cash for like FFT and fancy video signal analysis.
It also pumps all the data (and screen picutres) onto floppy disk for Excel
or MathCad if you want to get really fancy.  I see with the new TDS3000b
you can now run them from the other side of the Earth over the web :-))
The Tek 3000 series of scope is why you see practically new super great
"conventional" scopes on E-bay for like $200 now :-))  I don't think we
have bought any other kind at work for this last year.  If anyone wants a
"regular" scope, NOW is the time to get them!!  The prices are unbelievably
low!  I friend bought a $25,000 (1985) scope in practically new condition
for $150!!!  Of course, "my" scope does what it does with the push of a
button :-))  However, he paid $3000 less than I did.  Even though it is my
most expensive "toy" (LOTs of beer money there!), I find it extremely
useful for Tesla coil work and everything else electronic.  It does have
zillions of goofy functions but they really do work well and are very useful.

Cheers,

	Terry