old 6" coil

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hey guys,

I dug up my old 6" coil that I made when I was 14 - 8 years ago. I
hooked up my 11kV pole pig and used only 0.02uF of capacitance (I need
over 10x that to draw the full 10kVA). I took a few photos and posted
them to my site (below). Longest spark is nearly 60". Not bad for only
a kW or so. Also, the primary is steel, yup steel, strip used for
joining wood rafters in house construction. It's very low Q. And it
shows. The primary gets too hot to touch after only a minute or so of
continuous use! I used the strap because it was cheaper and easier to
bend for a 14 year old. The best pics are on the second page.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia