RE: Bart's Coil

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

Thank you for making the mutual inductance tests. It looks like the programs
are amazingly close to the test values. Your test values of 11.04 amps and
2.72 volts gives Lm = 653.52. The JHCTES gives 617.76 for Lm. I would expect
that the JHCTES value to be lower because this is for when the bottom of the
secondary coil is on the same level as the primary. When the secondary is
lowered the Lm and the K would become larger.

I plan to change the JHCTES program to include negative distance values in
the near future so comparisons can be made on an equal basis. I agree that
the K appears to be in the .159 and .169 range.

There is a relatively easy test that directly tests for the K factor and
eliminates the inaccuracies caused by the three variables, Lm, Lp, and Ls
when calculating K. This test only requires a function generator, frequency
counter, and oscilloscope and is shown in my TCC Guide page 14-11 of which I
believe you have a copy. The equation is

              K = sqrt(1-(Fo/Fs)^2)

The function generator is used to feed a signal into the primary coil. There
will be two resonant frequencies Fo and Fs when the unloaded (no toroid)
secondary coil is open (Fo) and when it is shorted (Fs). The two frequencies
are usually just below the loaded resonant frequency. The oscilloscope will
indicate the two frequencies. The test is sensitive to the surrounding
conditions.

 I have not tried this on a coil of your size but it works good on small
coils. I would be interested in the results if you get a chance to do this
test.

John Couture