From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 9:04 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Secondary

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

[belatedly....]

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Dave,

> On 14 May 01, at 21:49, Tesla list wrote:

> > Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> > <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> > Tesla list wrote:

> > > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> > > Hi Bob,

> > > I presume he was testing using a CW source?

> >  It's a fair description of Tesla's Colorado Springs coil.
> >  I'd call that a more or less classic Spark excited system.

> The few turns of thick wire in all coils?

	'all'?
	I mentioned Colorado Springs, specifically.  Over the years Tesla
	tried many coils.

> Was that really the most efficient system that could be built?

	I've no idea.  It was, it seems the best that could be built
	by the best practitioner of the time, with (more or less)
	unlimited money.  I don't necessarily view at it as The Best,
	I believe 'we' know more now.  I DO believe, that careful
	observations of the trend of the coils built may still
	yield some points of interest.

> Hands up all those who believe Tesla hit 10MV. Are you suggesting that
> were that coil to be lossless (i.e. Q being infinite) the output
> voltage would have been infinite too?

	I believe it would TEND towards infinity.  Any number of
	factors will limit the rise along the way.  (Corona loss,
	for one...).  In any case my beliefs are more or less
	irrelevant, compared to a good experiment...

> >  (I've disrecalled what was used at Wardenclyffe?)

> Not sure. I think for his transmission system he would have been
> aiming for as close to CW as he could get.

	Vaguely concur from what informed speculation I've seen.
	There were a variety of approaches to quasi CW in the spark
	radio technology.  These can be instructive, I think, whether
	Tesla was doing 'something else' or radio.

	best
	dwp