Re: Solid State Gap

Hi Malcolm,

At 05:05 PM 3/19/2001 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>           Nice goin'.  That's close to what I was doing with the
>MOSFET gap. I tried looking at the no quench trace but couldn't get
>thru for some reason.

The address to the site got kind of long.  Be sure you get the whole thing
in the address line of the web browser.  Maybe try again too.

>Did the beat envelope assume a linear of log
>shape (guess = log)?

Both the loaded and unloaded cases looked very log like.  The voltage was
only 50 volts so the turn on voltages were eating at the losses.

>BTW - have you tried cutting the gap off at Ip
>max (hint - interesting to test one or two old theories out there -

:-)))  I will have to try that...  I ran through the cutoff range and
didn't notice anything "odd" ;-))

>watch the spikes ;)?

IGBT's have lower high-current losses and the fancy reverse diodes cut down
drastically on the usual spike problems.  The signals look perfectly clean
so far.  Amazingingly clean in fact.  I never could get MOSFETs to work
real well but these IGBTs seem to love this stuff.