"STRANGE" transformers

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

hi all,
i have two transformers that i'm hoping someone can help me identify?
i found a couple pallets of these strange transformers at the place i
picked up a 10kva transformer. pics are at:
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id26.htm
they're strange to me because at first i thought they were just a
standard "LARGE" step down transformer, but after i got them home i
found different.
the large single one is more like a potential transformer with some
really high resistance values on the small taps and it has some MASSIVE
buss taps on the side. it also has the windings incased in a plastic
foam stuff (looks pretty hv to me?) and it has two oval cores running
opossed to each other and measuring 2.5" x 1" each. i'll have to current
limit it to check the output.
the smaller one has the two individual transformers on each side of the
single oval core but they are conected together at each tap the same?
this core measures 3" x 2".
these are the strangest transformers i've seen in a long time and i hope
someone can shed some light on what i have here?
he has about twenty that i could probably get cheap, maybe if anything
the cores might be nice for some current limiting inductors?
thanks in advance to any and all that take a look and give sugestions as
to or what i can do with them.
marc m.