NST filters

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Terry et al,
            I notice your NST-filter circuit placement is this:

    NSTsecondary - RCfilter - SafetyGap - TankCap

I've been trying this:

    NSTsecondary - SafetyGap - 1kohm - TankCap

this way when my safety gap does fire it just goes zzzz, rather than BANG
as when there is no resistor between the tank-cap and the gap.

I assume this protects the caps against too much surge current during a
safety gap firing (?).

I wonder if the helps or hinders protection of the NST (?).

Since my NST secondary has a DC resistance of ~50kohm an additional 1kohm
cann't hardly be noticed (?), in fact for my small TCs (9-30 NST) I've
never noticed the 1kohm-25watt resistors even getting warm, much less hot,
as others have reported.

thanks in advance for any opinions,
Peter Lawrence.