SRSG aligning

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Hi All...

been messing around again and found a possible way to set the SRSG to best
position.

I was running a static gap above the SRSG and the SRSG was on (but not
connected). As the
static gap fired ( this was while I turned the variac up untill I got a
static gap fire) I
noticed the stoboscopic effect of the static gap flash on the position of
the SRSG.

I had thought the position of the SRSG was in the correct position, but
when seeing the
stroboscopic effect upon the SRSG, the position was out of "sync" by about
15 degrees ATDC (
automotive nominclature). This means that the SRSG was firing after the
highest voltage was
achieved ( it was firing after the peak voltage occured)

sooooo... I decided to give it a try and set the "timing" to an "retarded"
20 or so degrees (
still a  5 degrees off, since the high end voltage has a tendancy to"jump"
back to the
incoming spinning electrode) on the SRSG. I retested the strobe effect and
noticed that the
electrodes were now more into position with the static gap firing.  I
rewired the SRSG into
the circuit and left the static gap unhooked and retested the system.

And wouldnt you know...  there was an increase of output from the secondary
by an additional
5-10%.

just a thought and some observations to consider....

Scot D