Fw: SRSG aligning

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 1:46 AM
Subject: SRSG aligning

> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

> Hi All...
>
> been messing around again and found a possible way to set the SRSG to best
> position.
>
> I was running a static gap above the SRSG and the SRSG was on (but not
> connected). As the
> static gap fired ( this was while I turned the variac up untill I got a
> static gap fire) I
> noticed the stoboscopic effect of the static gap flash on the position of
> the SRSG.
>
> I had thought the position of the SRSG was in the correct position, but
> when seeing the
> stroboscopic effect upon the SRSG, the position was out of "sync" by about
> 15 degrees ATDC (
> automotive nominclature). This means that the SRSG was firing after the
> highest voltage was
> achieved ( it was firing after the peak voltage occured)
>
> sooooo... I decided to give it a try and set the "timing" to an "retarded"
> 20 or so degrees (
> still a  5 degrees off, since the high end voltage has a tendancy to"jump"
> back to the
> incoming spinning electrode) on the SRSG. I retested the strobe effect and
> noticed that the
> electrodes were now more into position with the static gap firing.  I
> rewired the SRSG into
> the circuit and left the static gap unhooked and retested the system.
>
> And wouldnt you know...  there was an increase of output from the
secondary
> by an additional
> 5-10%.
>
> just a thought and some observations to consider....
>

> Scot D

Hi Scot,

Sounds like a super idea. I am in the process of making that quantum leap
from NST, static gaps etc. to  3kVA transformer (k~1) rotary Spark Gap and
Ballasts and have been  cogitating on this problem. I will certainly give it
a try when my SRSG is complete.  I was wondering if there is any significant
phase shift to the transformer primary as the  variac (power control) is
cranked up from the low to max. coil operating power. I imagine one would
set the rotary at low power operation using the static gap as the strobe as
you describe. I suppose this wouldn't be a consideration if the synchronous
spark gap motor input was connected to the same power controlling variac.
Unfortunately, my play time in this arena is zero so I don't know if this is
done.

Chuck