[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal toroid elevation

Hi Marco,

Using the dimensions you give here, I plugged the following into
E-Tesla5.21.  You may want to check my numbers...

 E-TESLA  V5.21  May 26, 2000  Terry Fritz

20:25:28      05-26-2000

 Grid Size =  120
 Scale Multiplier =  1
 Terminated Coil
 Ceiling Distance =  200
 Wall Distance =  100
 Primary Height (Inner Turn) =  0
 Primary Inner Diameter =  20
 Primary  Outer Diameter =  30
 Primary Height (Outer Turn) =  0
 Secondary Base Height =  7
 Secondary Diameter =  15.75
 Secondary Length =  59
 Secondary Inductance =  .0882
 Terminal-1 Height (center) =  85
 Terminal-1 Radius =  4
 Terminal-1 Diameter (torroid only)=  51
 Terminal-2 Height (center) =  85
 Terminal-2 Radius =  0
 Terminal-2 Diameter (torroid only)=  0
 Top Voltage =  100

 Pass    Ccalc (pF)          % Change            Fcalc (Hz)

 100     C= 10.45974          10359.74           F = 165701.1
 1900    C= 79.79104          .1575558           F = 59994.13

The stress plot is at:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco01.gif

Note the very high stress at the top winding of the secondary.  This looks
like it would definitely have a good chance of arcing.

The field plot is at:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco02.gif

This plot does not look to bad. but the stress plot above is the key here.

I then ran it with a 4 inch diameter corona ring at the top of the
secondary winding:

The stress and field plots are here:
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco03.gif
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco04.gif

The ring helps a little but is not really that good.  I think the toroid is
simply too high.  I ran it with the toroid center 11 inches above the top
winding (instead of 19 inches as in the first example) and I got the following:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco05.gif
http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco06.gif

Note the far reduced stress at the top of the secondary winding and the
much more natural oval shape to the top E-fields.  "I" think this is the
way to go.  Put the terminal center about a foot above the secondary top
winding would be my guess.  I would have a thin ring (like 1/2 inch tubing)
as a corona ring to keep the top winding from burning if it does have an
arc.  I don't think the ring will help much with field control however.

Cheers,

	Terry