[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Malcolm's ruler machine

Hi Bob,

At 11:00 AM 5/27/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>
>More thoughts for extensions.  Add known masses (at least 100 times the mass
>of the wire) to the end of the wire and plot the the SQU f against mass.
>The intersection with the mass axis is the equivalent of med C.  Then weigh
>the wire (moving part only) thats the equivalent of intrinsic C.  Now add
>small masses about the same mass as the wire.  You can then check the
>addition law.
>
>Regards Bob,

Right now, if I add a heavy mass to the top it just bends the wire over.
In retrospect, I should have the wire hanging down so gravity would help
and not hurt having a heavy top mass.

The wire is strong enough to hold smaller wieghts that are similar to the
frequency shift in a Tesla coil however.  I hope to do more experimants
this weekend.

Do you think this is a reasonable model for a real Tesla coil?  Are there
any special things I should be looking for in my tests?

Cheers,

	Terry