[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unexplained arcing current

At 08:33 22/05/99 -0600, you wrote:

 There is also considerable noise that these
>resistors eat due to the fact that the gap is spiking at each zero current
>crossing.  Without a secondary, this effect is really amplified.  Some
>resistors are also much better at dealing with these high frequency spikes
>than others.  I like the Ohmites.  Some wire wounds cannot take spikes like
>this and will burn up their little wires.  Thank goodness it is not burning
>out the neon secondary's little wires!

terry, Gary, all

	I find this quite alarming. If this is the case, and given that neons are
not designed to run open circuit anyway, "testing" the gap across the neon
without the rest of the tank circuit in place sounds like a good way to
kill your neon. I have been doing this with all my gap designs before
putting them on the coil just to check the gaps are firing ok. after
reading this I don't think I will be doing it again. Thanks for bringing
this up Gary.

ttyl

bob golding