[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

EEMMC test :-))

Hi All,

	I did a fun thing.  I wired eight of my 1600 volt poly caps up to make a
28nF 6400 volt cap.  I then hooked it to my LTR prototype coil and cranked
to power up to about 10-15kV peak input voltage for about two minutes.  The
streamers were about 1.5 to 2+ feet long on a not well tuned coil.  The cap
was only a little warm ( ~5 C )after the run!

	I was not too concerned about the RMS current or heating but the voltage
stress was right at the edge!  However, the cap seems fine!  The fact that
it survived at all, shows that these caps are pretty darn tough!  I would
have gone higher but I chickened out!

	A picture of the cap is at:

www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/EEMMC.jpg

Of course, this is definitely not recommended for reliability.  But 28nF
for $17 bucks...

Cheers,

	Terry