[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary width

Mark,
(comments below)

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: mark <moyson-at-tig-dot-com.au>
>
> Hi everyone!!
>
> thanks for the wheeler equations, actually i had them but didnt know they
> were called this.  With regard to an archimedian flat spiral primary, does
> the width of the strip matter?? it doesnt seem to come into the equation.

The equation       L = (R^2)*(N^2)/(8*R+11*W) Archimedes Spiral (flat)

The average radius, width, and number of turns are the only measureable
parameters required. Inductance is a matter of length not size. Copper
strapping will have the same inductance as copper tubing. What will be a
factor to consider is that copper strapping is going to have pointed ends
compared to using a tubular conductor. I would expect this to promote arcing
between adjacent turns or to the secondary, but, there may be a contruction
method where arcing is not a problem. Others who have actually built one (and
some have) would be the best to comment on arcing.

Bart