[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help PLEASE! So close.. and yet...

<< Only one slight detail - the
> secondary coil and discharge terminal did nothing. Absolutely
> nothing. I tried grounding the bottom to a well, and then directly to
> the house ground, to no avail. In case it helps: The power supply is
> 7500 volts at 30 milliamps(that's 220 watts). The capacitor is a
> leydan jar of an unknown capacitance. The primary is about five turns
> of really big fat copper stuff. As I said, that all works fine. The
> secondary is 30 AWG enamled magnet wire (the really thin red stuff -
> it was all I had) wound about 3/4 the height of a thin untreated
> cardbord wrapping paper tube (2 inches diameter). A softball wrapped
> nice and smoothly in aluminum serves as the discharge terminal. What
> is wrong? Is the cardboard conducting all the RF? Is the wire fatally
> thin? Help, please!

> -Yuri Markov, would-be coiler >>

Yuri,

My guess is the coil is not tuned.  If you're just using one leyden jar,
that's probably not enough capacitance.  You may need 30 jars depending
on their size (capacitance).  The primary has to be tuned to the same
frequency as the secondary.  You can add turns to the primary to reduce
the number of leyden jars needed.

John Freau